Who’s up for some healthy competition? Pun intended in this case. I’ve thrown together a Wellness Challenge that we are all doing here, and would love for everyone out there to participate with us! Are you looking for more healthy food? Or maybe to be stronger? Or perhaps just to be fitter and feel better? Whatever that “more” is that you’re looking for, let’s find it.
What is Wellness, anyway? Wellness means different things to different people. To some it is merely an attitude or a feeling. To others it is their best times on running a mile or finishing a workout in the gym. For the purposes of this challenge, we are going to rely heavily on the research and conclusions of the NWI (National Wellness Institute). Wellness takes conscious effort. It is self-directed and evolving. It is a process of achieving your full potential. It is multi-dimensional. It is positive and affirming. There are 6 dimensions of wellness as defined by the NWI. They are Occupational, Emotional, Physical, Spiritual, Intellectual, and Social.
What is this challenge all about? This is not meant to be a diet! The goal is to help you in committing to a healthier lifestyle. For this challenge, we will focus predominantly on the physical dimension of wellness, as outlined by the NWI. We will recognize and accept that we have free will and can make good healthy choices in our lives, without highlighting guilt and failure. We will help to stimulate the competitive nature in all of us, in hopes to motivate change and focus on positive accomplishments. The nutrition category will involve a plant-based whole food substance-free diet. If this is against your beliefs, you can still proceed with this challenge and use your own food guidelines. Remember that the level of effort you put into something will be directly related to your reward at the end. We are also Crossfitters. So as we discuss elements of the exercise and mobility categories and there is terminology you do not understand, don’t feel left out. Just ask.
There will be charts available soon for you to download and use during the challenge. There will also be tips and other tidbits of help posted throughout the challenge that will help with each category. We won’t leave you out there to do this alone! And don’t forget to post to the Find More page and interact with other participants. We are motivated by seeing the successes of others. We are more likely to accomplish our goals if we voice them to others and hold ourselves accountable.
What are the rules of this challenge?
- You begin with 5 points each day. Points can be added or taken away depending on your daily choices.
- A week begins on Monday and ends on Sunday
- You cannot double points for any category. But you can achieve partial points for each category. If you manage to drink half the water you are required to, you may count 1 point in your favor. Of course if you only drink a tenth of the required amount, you receive no points. Please be honest. It’s the best way to achieve your goals.
- You can only achieve a maximum of 20 points total each day
- Challenge begins Feb 16 and will end 6 weeks later
- Baseline data will consist of 2 structured workouts and body weight
- In order to participate and compete for prizes, you must private message this page with your name (or nickname you want to use), and your initial baseline data. You must track your own daily points and private message this page your weekly totals. DO NOT post your data on the timeline. It will not count!
How do the points work?
- Nutrition (5) – you begin with 5. As you follow the Nutrition Guidelines, you will either keep your 5 points for the day, or lose some. Please refer to the chart to see what foods are allowed and which ones aren’t.
- Exercise (+2) – you can earn 2 points for exercising AT LEAST 20 minutes. We are each at different levels of health and we want this challenge to be for everyone. You need to judge your own level and decide how much you want to benefit. If you lead a sedentary life right now, a 20 minute walk would be sufficient for earning your 2 points. If you are at the gym 5 times a day, your workout would be required for achieving your 2 points.
- Mobility (+2) – earn 2 points for working on the flexibility of your body. Spend 15 minutes or more increasing your range of motion in some area. Make a conscious effort to learn new mobility movements and apply them.
- Water (+2) – give yourself 2 points each day for drinking enough water. Measure one-third of your body weight in ounces. (i.e. if you weigh 150 lbs, you must drink 50 oz of water to get your 2 points for the day)
- Rest (+2) – earn 2 points for taking a day to rest each week. Whether this day is Sunday or Saturday for religious purposes, or you choose to make it something else, it doesn’t matter. We do recommend you choose a day you don’t have to work so you have the most rest possible.
- Extra (+2) – this will be something rotating on a weekly basis. It will be posted each week on Sunday and will be related to physical health
- Find More (+5) – this will be the toughest of all your points. It will be something that you need to work hard for. It will incorporate one of the other 5 elements of Wellness as defined by the NWI. It will also rotate weekly and be posted each Sunday.
What are the baseline measurements? There will be 2 structured workouts that you will need to do BEFORE you start the challenge. And you will also weigh yourself. I know. That’s the most difficult part of this whole thing, right? Workout #2A is for non-crossfitters. Workout #2B is for crossfitters. (I mentioned we are Crossfitters, remember?) If you are also a Crossfitter, or you have access to a gym and equipment, please choose workout #2B as one of your 2 baselines. The reason for this is because it is definitely more intense than the others. And if you are participating in this challenge to get better at something, you will want to make sure you don’t start below your current physical level. Work through the workout as best you can and record your results. Please don’t use your baselines as a means for fueling discouragement. We are all starting at various levels. Even if you only finish half a round, or take 45 minutes to finish a timed workout, it doesn’t matter. The goal is to better yourself and establish some healthy habits. If all of these workouts look too difficult and like something you wouldn’t be able to even do part of, please private message the page and we will come up with a modified workout for your baseline.
What can I win? I know. Why would anyone participate in something if there isn’t a reward or a prize? There will be winners in the following categories:
- Highest points total overall
- Most Improved – Points
- Most Improved – Baselines
- Find More Winner
You will be contacted if you are a winner in one of these categories. You will receive an awesome Find More certificate and of course a special fancy prize from me!